The largest sand sculpting event in the state with more than 1,000 tons of sand will return to Fort Myers Beach this November.
The 27th annual American Sand Sculpting Champion-ship is coming back to Fort Myers Beach from Nov. 22 through Dec. 1. The event will once again be held at the Holiday Inn located at 6890 Estero Blvd
Master sand sculptors will hit Fort Myers Beach forming the largest sand sculpting event in the state. Big C Events, Pinchers Crab Shack, the Holiday Inn Fort Myers Beach and The Sand Lovers, all of which have been involved in other successful sand sculpting events, including the World Championships of Sand Sculpting, will once again manage the event in coordination with the Greater Fort Myers Beach Chamber of Commerce.
Tourists and residents alike will have the rare opportunity to see a collection of some of the world's very best sand sculptors create amazing sand sculptures. Featuring 30 sculptors hailing from several different countries, the singles will compete the first week, followed by the doubles.
The Southeastern Tourism Society recognized the American Sand Sculpting Championship as a top 20 event of the entire southeastern United States. It was also recently listed as one of the top sand sculpting events by CNN earlier this month.
Guests are welcome to attend daily or at anytime during the event. There will be many interactive activities for guests to partake in including:
- 30 Sand Sculptures - View 30 sand sculptures, more than 1,000 tons of sand will be sculpted, including one huge 350 ton sandsculpture
- Quick Sand Speed Sculpting - Watch two sculptors face off in a 10-minute sculpt-off.
They sculpt a subject the audience chooses and the audience chooses the winner.
- Sand Sculpting Demonstrations and Lessons Learn the Tricks of the Master Sculptors.
- Amateur Contest Open to anyone and all levels of sculptors, try your hand at sand sculpting.
State Championships This is a competition where an advanced amateur sand sculptor can prove their abilities and get one step closer to being accepted as a Master Sculptor.
- Photo Opportunity Sculptures Become part of the art, step into the sculpture and have your photo taken
- Kids' Activity Area - Bounce Houses, Rock Climbing Wall, Bungee Jump and much more...
- Sand Vendor Village More than 50 vendors from around the country offering a great selection of food, beverages, specialty retail and arts and crafts
Tickets are just $5 for adults and children 5 and older, 4 and under are free.
Attendees are encouraged to arrive from the south in order to avoid traffic congestion.
Event directors have coordinated a revolving bus system to transport attendees from the Lover's Key parking area to the site.
Parking is also available in the Publix shopping center at Bonita Beach Road and U.S. 41 where the Lee County beach "Trollee" will pick up attendees.
- Submitted by Samantha Scott