Next month's roster of activities at Cape Coral-Lee County Public Library offers topics for all ages. The following activities are free to the public:
- English Cafe: 10 a.m. Fridays, April 1, 8, 15; 6 p.m. Tuesdays, April 5, 12
Practice your English with English Cafe, a free, conversation session for adult ESOL and ESL students. Advanced registration is not necessary.
History of Modern Ballroom Dance: 1 p.m. Saturday, April 2
Dr. John La Coste, a professional dancer and history professor, will take you on a whirlwind discussion of the history of modern ballroom dance. Registration is required.
- Craft Corner: Knitting and Crocheting: 3:30 p.m. Mondays, April 4, 11, 18, 25
Bring your ideas to light and make a handmade treasure. Materials will be provided, or bring your own project to work on. Sponsored by Friends of the Cape Coral Public Library. Registration is requested.
- Meteoroids, Meteors, and Meteorites--Visitors from Outer Space
Would you like to hold something in your hand that is 4.5 billion years old? Join us to learn what meteoroids, meteors, and meteorites are and where they originate from in our Solar System.
- Chess Anyone: 5:30 p.m. Tuesdays, April 5, 12, 19, 26
Rise to the chess challenge and join the fun. Everyone is welcome. Bring a personal chess set, if preferred.
- Book Discussion: Eric Larson?s "Devil in the White City" 2 p.m. Wednesday, April 13
- Bagels, Books and Banter: 9:30 a.m. Tuesday, April 26
Join other book lovers and come prepared to talk about a recent book that you've read.
- Family Storytime: 10:15 a.m. Wednesdays, April 6, 13, 20 ; 9:30 a.m. Thursdays, April 7, 14, 21
This program is for the whole family and lasts about 30 minutes. Registration is required.
- Baby-Parent Rhyme Time: 10:15 a.m. Thursdays, April 7, 14, 21
These rhymes and songs are for infants, up to 24 months, accompanied by an adult. T Registration is required.
- Preschool Storytime: 11 a.m. Wednesdays, April 6, 13, 20; 11 a.m. Thursdays, April 7, 14, 21
Preschoolers (ages 3 to 5) attend this storytime independently while parents or caregivers wait nearby in the library building. Registration is required.
- Kids Read Down Fines: 3:30- 4:30 p.m. Thursdays, April 7, 28;6-7 p.m. Mondays, April 11, 25
Children and teens can earn a $2 coupon for every 15 minutes of reading during the allotted time in the designated area of the library. For ages 18 and younger. Coupons may be applied to cards issued to patrons age 18 and under only. Please bring your library card.
- Mother's and Father's Day Craft Program
2 p.m. Monday, April 25: Make a special gift for mom and dad's special days. For students of all ages. Families are welcome. Registration is requested.
- Game On! Wii Sports Spectacular for Ages 5 - 7, 1 p.m. Tuesday, April 26
- Play tennis, baseball, golf, bowling and boxing in the Storytime Room. Use the Wii Remote controller to mimic the actions of swinging a racket, bat or club, roll a ball down an alley or bring the left jab. Registration is required at the library. A signup sheet in 1/2 hour increments with 6 spots per time period will be located in the Youth Services department beginning March 28th. Once all 24 spots are filled, no other reservations will be taken. All skill levels are welcome. No experience required.
The Cape Coral-Lee County Public Library is located at 921 SW 39th Terrace in Cape Coral. For more information about a program or to register, please call the library at (239) 533-4500. A sign language interpreter is available with 5 business days notice to library staff. Assistive listening system available; request at desk.