Next month's roster of activities at Cape Coral-Lee County Public Library offers topics for all ages. The following activities are free to the public:
- English Caf: 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 4; 10 a.m., Friday, Aug. 7
Practice English with English Cafe, a free informal, conversation session for adult ESOL and ESL students. Each 90-minute session provides adult learners an opportunity to practice English with native speakers. Participants may start at any time. Advanced registration is not necessary.
- Chess Anyone: 5:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Aug. 4, 11, 18 and 25
Rise to the chess challenge and join the fun. Everyone is welcome. Bring a personal chess set, if preferred. Registration is requested.
- Craft Corner: knitting, crocheting and cross-stitching, 3:30 p.m. Mondays, Aug. 10 and 24.
Bring ideas to light and needle a handmade treasure. Materials will be provided, or bring a project to work on. Registration is requested.
- Craft corner: Scrapbooking: 10 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 22
Bring photos and papers of your choice. The library will provide paper cutters, tape, scissors, and corner rounders. Registration is required.
- Bagels, Books and Banter, 9:30 a.m. Tuesday, Aug. 25
Join other book lovers and come prepared to talk about a favorite book that you've read. Relax over coffee and bagels with old and new friends. Registration is requested.
- Coastie the Safety Boat, 11 a.m. Wednesday, Aug. 5.
Join the Coast Guard Auxiliary and Coastie the Safety Boat to learn about boating and water safety. Registration is requested.
- Kids Read Down Fines, 6:30 p.m. Mondays, Aug. 3, 17 and 31; 3:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Aug. 4, 11.
Take care of library fines by reading! Children and teens can earn a $2 coupon for every 15 minutes of reading during the allotted time in the designated area of the library. For ages 18 and younger.
- Book Bingo, 2 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 4.
Play Book Bingo and win prizes! Students need to be readers. For ages 6 and up. Parents welcome. Registration is required.
- Back-to-School Craft Program, 2 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 11
Come and decorate a special pencil/pen/marker holder for the new school year. Parents welcome. Registration is required.
- Wii Sports, 2 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 13.
Play tennis, baseball, golf, bowling and boxing in the Storytime Room. A signup sheet in half-hour increments with six spots per time period will be posted at Cape Coral Library Youth Services beginning Aug. 1. Once all 24 spots are filled, no other reservations will be taken. For grades 3-6.
- Greg Heffley Look-Alike Contest and "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" Series Talk About, 2 p.m. Friday, Aug. 14.
Come dressed as Greg or another "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" character, play games and talk about the series. Prizes awarded for the best get-up. For grades 3-5. Registration is required.
- Back to School Class of 2010, 6:30 p.m. Monday, Aug. 3.
All 2010 high school grads! Come and meet Jerilyn Jamieson and Jenni Caves of Edison State College. They will help students in grades 10-12 plan their future as they discuss ways to enter and pay for college. Parents are encouraged to attend.
- Wii Teens, 2 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 12.
Spend a mid-August afternoon playing Wii and other games at the library with your friends. Sponsored by Friends of the Cape Coral-Lee County Public Library.
The Cape Coral-Lee County Public Library is located at 921 SW 39th Terrace in Cape Coral. For more information about a program or to register, please call the library at (239) 533-4500.
A sign language interpreter is available with 5 business days notice to library staff. Assistive listening system available; request at desk.