Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Staff Contacts | Home RSS
 
 
 

Officials warn of bacteria after man's death

September 28, 2013
Associated Press

PALM COAST, Fla. (AP) — Central Florida health officials are warning residents about seawater bacteria after a man died from exposure this week.

Authorities in Flagler and Volusia counties are advising residents to avoid eating raw shellfish and exposing open wounds in seawater. The Daytona Beach News-Journal (http://bit.ly/19NujM0 ) reports that 59-year-old Henry Konietzky died Monday after he was exposed to bacteria called Vibrio vulnificus. He had been fishing for crabs in the Halifax River.

Statewide, 29 cases and nine deaths have been linked to the bacteria this year.

Vibrio vulnificus is a bacterium that normally lives in warm seawater and is in the same family as cholera. Symptoms include diarrhea, vomiting and abdominal pain. Health officials say people should wear gloves and wash their hands after handling raw shellfish.

 
 

 

I am looking for:
in:
News, Blogs & Events Web